Sunday, September 11, 2011

This is for Paula...











My sister and I were definitely different. She was artistic and an extrovert while I played the piano and was a bit of a wallflower. She kept a tidy house while I struggled to keep the dishes washed. She taught me how to bake bread so that I didn't have to serve "stones" anymore. She loved people and had tons of friends that adored her while I had my short list of people that I held dear. This was because she was caring and was a real friend to so many. She loved her husband even when he could not find the courage to stay by her side to the end. She was optimistic and would always tell me "everything will be all right" when I would be fretting over the "what ifs". When we were little we always shared a room. This, of course, would lead to squabbles and lines would be drawn mapping out our separate spaces even on the double bed we shared. But then there were the nights that we would get the giggles or push the bed under the window to feel the breeze from the thunderstorms so that the curtains would fan us. She wasn't perfect and would demand to get her way when I would be the one that would try to do what Mom or Dad wanted. She was my maid of honor when I wasn't even in any of her wedding photos. But for all of our differences and disagreements, we loved each other. I know I wasn't her best friend but, beside my husband, she was mine. I was blessed with the opportunity to help take care of her during her last summer here on this earth. The day before she passed we had a very special visit together. She was afraid. Afraid to leave her children behind, not knowing what would happen to them. So it was my turn to tell her "everything will be all right". I know it has been hard for them, but she left us with such a good example that if we follow it "everything will be all right".





Ten years ago people were mourning the tragedy of 9/11 while my family and I were mourning the loss of my sister, Paula Jean Burns Fortman on 9/10/01. All the memorials this weekend have brought back so many memories and feelings. She will always be a part of me. I love you Paula.

1 comment:

  1. Mom " who are you going to call"
    Paula "GHOSTBUSTERS"

    makes me laugh and cry all at the same time. I love you too Aunt Paula and was thinking of you and yours.

    ReplyDelete