Sunday, January 15, 2012

a new year

Many things have happened since I wrote last. I have thought of writing here a few times but think that most of the events of my life are pretty mundane and I always forget to take pictures when I should. This morning, though, I remembered how excited I was when I read a diary of a distant aunt that talked of getting wood for the stove and how much snow had fallen on a particular day. So, for those that might be interested here is a quick wrap-up of the past few months.

Fall semester ended up being pretty interesting. I worked with two different student teachers in the math classes that I teach. I learned how much I really love being a teacher because I missed not being the one at the front of the class. I think that it went well and it was nice to be able to help these new teachers on their career paths.

The holidays were all pretty quiet because no one came here and we did not go anywhere except on Christmas Eve. The Sunday after Thanksgiving, we had a wonderful gathering at Shannon's because Michael and Amy had come to Arizona. On Christmas Eve, we had a nice dinner at Richard and Beth's house. On Christmas Day, I was priveledged to accompany the ward choir during sacrament meeting. This was a great opportunity to stretch my limited piano skills. I was grateful and it went well.

We gained a new grandchild in December. Arlo Jonas was born to Jeff and Heather. We are so happy for them and hope that he will continue to be strong and healthy. By the end of July, we will have two more grandchildren because Richard and Chris are expecting an addition to each of their families. This will make a total of fifteen grandchildren for us. What a blessing they all are to our family and bring us great joy.

Last week our stake conference was outstanding. I truly felt the Spirit there and it has inspired me to continue working on my own salvation and that of my family. A few months ago, Dad suggested a change to our Sunday activities. We have stopped watching TV (except maybe an inspirational movie or show) and started working on our family history. This has made such a difference in our lives. Dad had already been reading his scriptures and saying his prayers religiously. His example has helped me to be more diligent in my efforts to follow the counsel of our leaders. We fast and pray for all of our children in their different situations, even those that don't really listen to us. The only way for true happiness is to live the gospel.

Family is the most important thing in life. My uncle Steve and his wife Judy came for a real quick visit on Friday. He took Mom to Nogales and to the cemetery in Tucson. He said she did really well and was very overcome when she came to my Dad's grave. Lately, she doesn't remember that she was married or that her husband is my father. We ended the day with a nice dinner with George, Casandra, and Jessica. I am so grateful to Uncle Steve and his efforts to stay in touch with Mom and to transcribe the story of our family. He is going to launch a website where all his research, pictures, and Grandma Lolo's history will be available to all of us.

Love to all of you. Have a wonderful Sabbath.

1 comment:

  1. Mom don't know how I missed this post last week. I would really love to be able to access that website of Grandma Lolo's life when its up. Could you send me the address when it is. Mom keep writing even if no one else in the world reads it, I do. I love you so much and want to hear all about the little things you do everyday. You know I would talk to you forever about it if I could.We need to skype again soon.

    ReplyDelete