Sunday, February 28, 2010

intelligence

It is the end of another month and, as always, the time has flown by so fast it is a blur. Dad and I lucked into tickets to see a Broadway in Tucson production of "Fiddler on the Roof". We got to sit with Rob and Shella Brubaker which was a lot of fun.

This morning I had one of those moments when I really felt inspired. I usually think of myself as an intelligent person but today I realized that I'm really not so smart after all. As most of you know I am teaching a middle school math class. We spent one day this past week doing an activity measuring circles and finding out that circumference divided by diameter equals pi. So, we discussed the formula to find circumference and area. Then we spent another day measuring the area in different ways to get a better understanding of circles. I was supposed to be teaching these kids but only this morning I finally put it all together and it made sense to me of why the formulas work. I'm pretty good at putting the numbers into a formula and getting the right answer but now I realize that I don't always understand what I'm doing. Finally the thought came to me that you can liken this to living the gospel. Sometimes we have to just keep plugging the numbers into the formula before we get a testimony or have the Spirit teach us what we need to know. Also, I think that 'book smarts' does not always equal intelligent thinking. I can get good grades on a report card but often don't know how to use that learning very well and just having a testimony of the gospel does not get you to heaven. You must live it everyday.

1 comment:

  1. I loved your post today! It is just what I have been needing about needing to live the gospel everyday. I am trying very hard to get back to it. I love you and thank you for you inspiration you are such a wonderful aunt and I am glad you are mine!

    ReplyDelete